Sunday, February 17, 2013

How many years young am I?

Duh!  I'm pretty sure as I celebrate each Birthday, I'm one year older, not younger.  I hate the term 'Young' when telling how old you are.  Such as," He's 80 years young today!"  No he's not, he's 80 years old!  Was he 160 years old when he was born, and each year he's gotten younger?
Is that phrase supposed to make the person feel better?  Well, you're not 80 years old, you're 80 years young!  Oh, well, now a feel a hell of a lot better! 
And, if you're going to use that phrase, when do you reverse it?  I mean, when you turn 7, you're 7 years old.  When you turn 21, you're 21 years old.  Just exactly what age do you change it from 'old' to 'young'? 
I don't know, but every time I hear somebody say they're so many years 'young' my initial reaction is 'Idiot'!

2 comments:

Mark said...

I feel like the only people who tend to use that phrase are perky little people who ought to be doing local newscasts.

Judith Bowman said...

I agree with you, Bad Bob! If someone, say a sales clerk, says to me "that will be $7.38 young lady..." I think aww, c'mon! I'm not young and I don't need to be called "young" in some attempt to make me feel good because "young" is better than "old." Don't call me anything - just take my money, smile and say thank you. That's how I feel and thanks for listening...!